I invite you and your network to participate in the National Learn & Serve Challenge kickoff sponsored by the National Service-Learning Partnership, during the week of October 5-11, 2009. The Challenge is an event designed to highlight Learn and Serve America and service-learning throughout the nation.
We have seen the power of service-learning as a way to engage students, educators, administrators, and staff with their communities to solve problems while improving academic achievement and civic engagement of participants. Learning, teaching, and research are strengthened when the focus is on community revitalization, democratic participation, and problem-solving.
The National Learn & Serve Challenge is our opportunity to demonstrate the power of service-learning to others. You do not have to be affiliated with Learn and Serve America funding to participate. This event is designed to highlight service-learning everywhere.
What can you do to support the Challenge?
* Prepare a special sign-on letter or proclamation to recognize the National Learn & Serve Challenge.
* Create and place an article, op-ed, video, or interview from a prominent spokesperson such as a local superintendent, college or university president, tribal leader, parent, educator, or student involved in your service-learning program.
* Spotlight youth leaders through a student-led presentation to the school board or other officials, a showcase for parents and community members, or a forum about service-learning.
* If you give Learn and Serve America subgrants, hold a ceremony to present funding with a BIG CHECK.
* Accept the Challenge's call to action and engage in service-learning activities that are tied to the four priority areas of education, health, community renewal, and clean energy and the environment throughout the 9-month Challenge campaign.
* Encourage subgrantees and others in your network to Accept the Challenge and shine a light on service-learning during the kickoff week of October 5 -11.
* Register your events and sign on as a partner on the Challenge website, learnandservechallenge.org<http://www.learnandservechallenge.org/>. We want you to be part of the National Learn & Serve Challenge network!
There are also ideas and tool kits on the Challenge website learnandservechallenge.org<http://www.learnandservechallenge.org/> for you to review. Be sure to return to this site throughout the campaign to participate in the free virtual learning and professional development tools that will support your efforts.
I wish you a successful National Learn & Serve Challenge kickoff week and look forward to learning about your related activities!
Elson B. Nash
Learn and Serve America
The Learn & Serve Challenge is a signature event of the National Service-Learning Partnership, made possible with support from State Farm(r) Companies Foundation. Lead Organizing Partners include: SEANet - the State Education Agency K-12 Service-Learning Network, America's Promise Alliance, Camp Fire USA, Campus Compact, the National Service-Learning Clearinghouse, National Youth Leadership Council, and Youth Service America in collaboration with the Corporation for National and Community Service.